- Ph.D., Economics, Syracuse University, 2009
Current Research Topics
- Income Distribution
- Economic Impacts of Taxes and Public Investments
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- 2012 - present
Assistant Research Professor
University of Massachusetts, Amherst - Political Economy Research Institute
- 2009 - 2012
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., Salvatore Morelli, and Timothy Smeeding (Forthcoming). "Post-1970 Trends in within-Country Inequality and Poverty," The Handbook of Income Distribution.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Gustavo Suarez (2014). "Recent Trends in Wealth of Minority Groups in the United States: Evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances," The Minority Report issue 6. Committee on the Status of Minority Groups in the Economics Profession.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Timothy Smeeding (2014). Income inequality since the great recession. California: National Report Card on Poverty and Inequality, Stanford Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., Hyunsoo Choi, Harrison Hong, and Jeffrey Kubik (2014). "When Real Estate is the Only Game in Town," Working Paper 19798. National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Shawn M. Rohlin (2013). "The Effect of State and Local Sales Taxes on Employment at State Borders," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-49. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Timothy M. Smeeding (2013). "Inequality and Poverty in the United States: The Aftermath of the Great Recession," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-51. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Elias Leight (2012). "Do Rising Top Income Shares Affect the Incomes Or Earnings of Low and Middle-Income Families?" Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-76. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Elias Leight (2012). "Do Rising Top Income Shares Affect the Incomes Or Earnings of Low and Middle-Income Families?" B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1-36.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Shawn Rohlin (2012). "The Effect of Sales Taxes on Employment: New Evidence from Cross-Border Panel Data Analysis," National Tax Journal, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 1023-1042.
- Smeeding, Timothy M., and Jeffrey P. Thompson (2011). "Recent Trends in Income Inequality: Labor, Wealth and More Complete Measures of Income," in Immervoll, Herwig, Andreas Peichl and Konstantinos Tatsiramos eds., Who Loses in the Downturn? Economic Crisis, Employment and Income Distribution Research in Labor Economics, Vol. 32. Bingley, U.K.: Emerald, pp. 1-50.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., and Tim Smeeding (Forthcoming). "US Country Case Study," in Jenkins, Stephen, Andrea Brandolini, John Micklewright and Brian Nolan eds., The Great Recession and the Distribution of Household Income. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P., Tim Smeeding, Asaf Levanon, and Esra Burak (2011). "Income, Inequality, and Poverty Over the Early Stages of the Great Recession," in Grusky, David, Bruce Western and Christopher Wimer eds., The Great Recession, Oct Ed. , pp. 82-126.
- Fitzpatrick, Katie, and Jeffrey P. Thompson (2010). "The Interaction of Metropolitan Cost-of-Living and the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit: One Size Fits all?" National Tax Journal, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 419-445.
- Thompson, Jeffrey P. (2009). "Using Local Labor Market Data to Re-Examine the Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 343-366.
Joint Statistical Meetings, Montreal Canada
The Aftermath of the Great Recess: Inequality and Poverty in the US
May 1, 2013
Investment Company Institute Research Committee Meeting
The Changing Demography of Wealth
April 4, 2013
Handbook of Income Distribution, Volume 2 author's conference Paris, FR
Post-1970 Trends in Within-Country Inequality and Poverty
April 12, 2013
Population Association of America 2013 Conference, New Orleans, LA
The Changing Demography of Wealth
ASSA Labor & Employment Relations Association Session
Inequality and Poverty in the Great Recession: The Extent and the Distribution of Mitigation through Taxes and Transfers
August 29, 2012
MeCS brown bag seminar
Does education loan debt influence household financial distress? An initial assessment using the 2007-09 SCF Panel
May 18, 2012
National Tax Association Spring Symposium
The Effect of Sales Taxes on Employment: New Evidence from Cross-Border Panel Data Analysis
March 28, 2011
UMASS/Boston Globe Panel Discussion
Recovering from the Recession
October 6, 2010
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston's New England Study Group seminar series
Prioritizing Approaches to Economic Development in New England: Skills, Infrastructure, and Tax Incentives
OECD/IZA conference "Economic Crisis, Rising Unemployment and Policy Responses: What Does It Mean for the Income Distribution?"
Recent Trends in Income from Wealth and Income from Labor: Stocks, Flows and More Complete Measures of Well Being
National Tax Association Conference
Cost of living and the EITC
Economic Perspectives on State and Local Taxes - Lincoln Institute for Land Policy
Prioritizing Approaches to Economic Development
Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality "National Report Card"
Income Inequality Since the Great Recession
National Tax Association Annual Conference
The Effects of State and Local Sales Taxes on Employment
National Tax Journal
- National Tax Journal
- Research in Labor Economics
- Journal of Human Resources
- Contemporary Economic Policy
- Economics Bulletin
- Fiscal Studies
- Journal of Economic Inequality
- Political Behavior
- Economic Inquiry
- USDA ERS FAANRP peer reviewer for competitive grant program
- American Economics Association
Last update: February 24, 2014