- Ph.D., Economics, University of California - Los Angeles, 2005
- B.A., Public Policy & Economics, University of Chicago, 1998
Current Research Topics
- Land Assembly; Block Grant Targeting;
- Long-Term Impacts of Transit
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- 2011 - present
University of Toronto
- 2008 - 2011
Russell Sage Foundation
- 2009 - 2010
- 2005 - 2008
- Brooks, Leah, Yosh Halberstam, and Justin Phillips (2012). "Spending within Limits: Evidence from Municipal Fiscal Restraints," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-52. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brooks, Leah, and William C. Strange (2011). "The Micro-Empirics of Collective Action: The Case of Business Improvement Districts," Journal of Public Economics, vol. 95, no. 11-12, pp. 1358-1372.
- Brooks, Leah, Justin Phillips, and Maxim Sinitsyn (2011). "The Cabals of a Few Or the Confusion of a Multitude: The Institutional Trade-Off between Representation and Governance," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1-24.
- Brooks, Leah, and Justin H. Phillips (2010). "An Institutional Explanation for the Stickiness of Federal Grants," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 243-264.
- Brooks, Leah, and Rachel Meltzer (2010). "Does a Rising Tide Compensate for the Secession of the Successful? Illustrating the Effects of Business Improvement Districts on Municipal Coffers," in The Changing Landscape of Local Public Revenues. Cambridge: Lincoln Institute for Land Policy.
- Brooks, Leah, and Justin Phillips (2009). "Municipally-Imposed Tax and Expenditure Limits," Land Lines, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 8-13.
- Brooks, Leah (2008). "Volunteering to be Taxed: Business Improvement Districts and the Extra-Governmental Provision of Public Safety," Journal of Public Economics, vol. 92, no. 1/2, pp. 388-406.
- Brooks, Leah (2007). "The Impact of Business Improvement Districts on Property Values: Evidence from New York City: Comment," Brookings-Wharton Papers on Urban Affairs, pp. 32-36.
- Brooks, Leah (2007). "Unveiling Hidden Districts: Assessing the Adoption Patterns of Business Improvement Districts in California," National Tax Journal, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 5-24.
- Brooks, Leah (2006). "Does Spatial Variation in Heterogeneity Matter? Assessing the Adoption Patterns of Business Mprovement Districts," Review of Policy Research, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1219-1233.
Last update: March 13, 2013