Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization - G.17
Data Download: DDP and Text Files
Data Download Program (DDP)
The Data Download Program allows you to retrieve data related to selected Federal Reserve Boad statistical releases, including the G.17. You may build your own custom data package or select a preformatted package. The Data Download Program allows for charting of selected data as well as downloading data in serveral different formats (i.e. Excel, CSV, XML (SDMX)).
Text Data Files
The files containing data from 1986 to present are updated each month as part of the G.17 release process.
The historical data, grouped by the table in which they appear in the G.17 release, are available in text files.
The format for each line in the files consists of an industry code,
a year, and 12 months of data (to four decimal places) when available. The data have
various start dates; the earliest is 1919.
Documentation for importing data into Microsoft Excel.
The data and the documentation files are available through the following links. (Tables 4 and 5 are indexes of series found in tables 1 and 2. Data and documentation for table 10 are available through the links for tables 1 and 2. Tables 11, 12, 13, and 14 of the release report a limited range of historical data for major aggregates found in other tables. These tables are, therefore, not reported here.)
- Tables 1, 2 and 10: Industrial Production: Market and Industry Groups (including IP series from tables 1, 2, and tables 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, and 1E of the G.17 Supplement; also includes gross-value-weighted industrial production for stage-of-process groups found in table 10)
- Table 3: Motor Vehicle Assemblies
- Table 6: Diffusion Indexes of Industrial Production
- Tables 7 and 8: Capacity Utilization and Industrial Capacity: Manufacturing, Mining, and Utilities (includes series from tables 7, 8, and tables 2, 3 of the G.17 Supplement)
- Table 9: Industrial Production: Gross Value of Products
- All Tables: Tables 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9
- Relative Importance Weights for Seasonally Adjusted IP.
- Discontinued Data: Electric Power Use: Manufacturing and Mining
A separate set of data and documentation show the seasonally adjusted aggregate initial estimate of the Industrial Production index as it was originally published and subsequently revised during the normal four-month estimation period as was the practice up through March 2008.
- April 3, 2014: Communications Equipment Price Indexes: Quarterly price indexes for communications equipment have been re-estimated using product data through the third quarter of 2013. Comma-delimited text files containing quarterly and annual data are available for download
- March 28, 2014: Seasonal factors for auto and truck production were revised from January 1996 through August 2013. The seasonal factors from September 2013 through June 2014 were revised on March 7, 2014. The seasonal factors will be revised again in March 2015. A comma-delimited text file containing these seasonal factors is available for download.
- August 2, 2013: Seasonal factors for auto and light truck sales The Federal Reserve Board estimates seasonal factors for new light vehicle sales and provides these factors to The Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) for use in the National Income and Product Accounts. These factors are estimated once per year using X12-ARIMA and were last estimated in summer 2013, using vehicle sales data through April 2013. The seasonal factors for months that had not yet occurred were based on projections from the X12-ARIMA program. The factors will be revised again in summer 2014. A comma-delimited text file containing these seasonal factors is available for download.
- June 26, 2013: Industrial Production Seasonal Adjustment Procedures. A file with detailed information on the procedures used to seasonally adjust the Industrial Production Indexes is now available for download.
- March 11, 2013: Microprocessor Price Index An annual price index for microprocessors for the period 2007 through 2011 is now available. The index provides an estimate of year-to-year price changes for microprocessors assuming that the quality of the chip is unchanged. Wholesale prices from publicly available price lists were adjusted for performance using a hedonic regression. This price index will be incorporated into the industrial production index for semiconductors and related components that will be published on March 22, 2013, as a part of the annual revision to the G.17 statistical release on Industrial production and Capacity Utilization. A comma-delimited text file containing annual data (as well as a description of the estimation technique) is available for download. More details are available here
- December 17, 2012: Communications Equipment Price Indexes Quarterly price indexes for communications equipment have been reestimated using product data through Q3 2012. A comma-delimited text file containing quarterly and annual data (as well as a description of the data) is available for download.
Historical release dates are also available.
Discontinued Data: Electric Power Use: Manufacturing and Mining. The Federal Reserve discontinued its survey of industrial electric power use with the publication on December 15, 2005, of data for October 2005. Although the indexes of electric power use will are no longer updated, the historical indexes will remain available.